SAIF Corporation is unique within Oregon.
We are a not-for-profit, state-chartered workers' compensation company. We make workers' compensation insurance affordable and available to the employers of Oregon. And we strengthen the Oregon economy by helping to keep workers' compensation insurance costs low while keeping the workplace safe.
SAIF was created by the people of Oregon through the state legislature "to make insurance available to as many Oregon employers as inexpensively as may be consistent with the overall integrity of the Industrial Accident Fund... and sound principles of insurance."
SAIF will be an industry innovator that makes Oregon the safest place to work. We exist to serve and protect the Oregon workforce, meeting the needs of workers and employers and strengthening Oregon's economy.
To constantly improve Oregon's workers' compensation system by setting the industry standard for affordability, availability, innovation, efficiency, and service quality.
- We will shape and build a fair, balanced, and sustainable workers' compensation system.
- We will maintain long-term financial strength.
- We will improve the health and safety of Oregonians at the workplace and throughout the community.
- We will deliver a high-value customer experience that differentiates us in the marketplace.
- We will innovate to find new and better ways to serve our stakeholders.
- We are committed to operational excellence.
- We will build a strong, sustainable, highly productive organization.
Print the SAIF fact sheet (PDF)
SAIF Corporation is a not-for-profit, state-chartered workers' compensation company. We make workers' compensation insurance affordable and available to the employers of Oregon. And we strengthen the Oregon economy by helping to keep workers' compensation insurance costs low while keeping the workplace safe.
SAIF was created by the people of Oregon through the Oregon state legislature. We began in 1914 as a state agency, and in 1980 we became the nation's first public corporation specializing in workers' compensation insurance.
A five-member Board of Directors, appointed by the governor, oversees the operation of SAIF and appoints the corporation's president and chief executive officer. Kerry Barnett has held that position since May 22, 2015.
Our corporate headquarters are in Salem, Oregon, and our regional offices are in Bend, Eugene, Medford, North Bend, Portland, and Roseburg. All our offices provide loss control, marketing, premium audit, investigation, and return-to-work services for our customers.
SAIF's place in the market
- Number of customers insured (including share of assigned risk pool) (as of Dec. 31, 2015) | 51,419
- Premium market share (2015) | 51.7 percent
- Total investments (2015) | $4.39 billion
- Loss and loss adjustment expense reserves (2015) | $2.92 billion
- Direct earned premium (2015) | $466.7 million
- Investment income (2015) | $155.7 million
- Dividend paid (2015) | $120.0 million
- Total number of reported claims (year-end 2015) | 40,748
- Total number of claims accepted (year-end 2015) | 32,860
- Total number of claims denied (year-end 2015) | 6,293
- Requests for hearings, including share of assigned risk pool (2015) | 3,024
Investigations and third-party
- Total investigations completed (2015) | 5,691
- Fraud and forensic investigations completed by SAIF’s Special Investigation Unit (2015) | 81
- Recoveries and reserve savings resulting from fraud investigations (2015) | $367,864
- Convictions, judgments, and recoveries (2015) | 29
- Third-party recoveries (2015) | $8,284,103 credited to employers
Over half of the workers' compensation insurance policies in Oregon are issued by SAIF.
SAIF is the 21st-largest issuer of workers' compensation policies by net written premium* volume in the United States.
On average, SAIF makes claims decisions in just over half the time allowed by law, and we consistently provide the first time-loss check to injured workers more quickly than our competitors.
SAIF offers employers the best value for responsive, hassle-free workers' compensation coverage in Oregon. In 2015, 99.8 percent of employers chose to keep their insurance with SAIF. That's not only a reflection of customer satisfaction, but also a reflection of value.
SAIF employees (as of December 31, 2015) | 945
SAIF monthly payroll (as of December 31, 2015) | $5.63 million